Part One: Defining a Creative Practice
Research Task: Interior Design niches?
I have carried out some research online looking at different types of Interior Design. From this research I have created a list with a definition for each specialism. Some do inter connect but don’t necessarily come under the same heading.
- Leisure interior design: Spas, cinemas, sports venues, public spaces.
- Residential interior design: privately owned homes, property developments, show homes.
- Retail interior design: shops, service stations, retail parks.
- Hospitality interior design: Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars, clubs, spas.
- Healthcare design: hospitals, surgeries, clinics, residential care homes.
- Education interior design: schools, universities, colleges, libraries.
- Civic and Cultural design: libraries, museums, galleries.
- Experiential design: themed environments, exhibitions and interiors driven by a narrative.
- Social: Public or Private. Commercial. Film, TV and theatre. Community centres. Live/work spaces. Marine. Mixed-use developments.
- Commercial interior design: public spaces, offices, retail, restaurants.
- Corporate interior design: offices, board rooms, work rooms.
- Marine interior design: cruise ships, charter yachts, ferries, terminal facilities.
- Aviation interior design: airline cabin interiors.
I believe the following list is still valid but will come within any if not all of the above areas.
- Furniture interior design: understanding peoples behaviour when creating a functional space whether public, private or commercial.
- Production interior design: theatre, lighting, characters and costume, stage setting.
- Visual Merchandiser: goods on display in both windows and shop-floors.
- Lighting interior design: use of light to achieve a particular aesthetic effect.
- Sustainable interior design: focussing on environmental issues to reduce energy, pollution and waste.
This research task was very interesting, initially I hadn’t even thought of Marine or Aviation design as an Interior Design niche, this has led me in directions I have no knowledge or experience with apart from travelling on a boat or an aeroplane.